Local radio DJ Daniel Ong and former Miss Universe Singapore Jamie Teo were charged today (29 Dec) for offences under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act because they tio lia (kena caught) for underpaying their workers when they were the tow kays of Twelve Cupcakes.
According to CNA, they each will receive 24 charges involving eight employees.
In case you lazy to read the news, here’s a summary of what happened:
- Daniel Ong and Jamie Teo were the founders of Twelve Cupcakes.
- They founded the pastry company in 2011, now there are 35 outlets across Singapore.
- In 2016, they sold the pastry company to an Indian tea company for $2.5 million.
- While Ong and Teo happy happy count money, the new tow kay who took over the company realised that these 2 tow kays allegedly have been underpaying their workers whose salaries were between $2,000 and $2,600 a month.
- Then the new tow kay also very what de lor. Initially they paid workers the reduced salary. But later they allegedly changed tactics.
- First, they pay their workers full salary first, then later allegedly make the workers pay back a portion of their salary in cash so as to conceal their offence – maybe because they see the old tow kays already underpaying their workers liao. Walao can like that one meh??? Is it they think MOM stupid? But sorry lor, you do bad things confirm one day will kena catch one hor.
- So yes lor, in the end, the new tow kay also got kena charged – to which they also pleaded guilty earlier this month.
- Then MOM continue to dig some more, they found out that allegedly, on top of underpaying the workers, Ong and Teo also did not pay their workers on time sia.
- Tsk tsk. Anyway if found guilty, both Ong and Teo could be jailed for up to a year, fined up to $10,000, or both.
- Tia gong now Teo intends to plead guilty
Sibei zek ark leh these people. ALL OF THEM. If Ong and Teo never underpay their workers, the new tow kay also won’t see the loophole and continue to mistreat the workers. So orbi good! All of them deserved to be punished if found guilty.
Don’t because these workers are S-pass workers then you like that ill-treat them mah.
Say real one. If these workers got union’s protection then this kind of thing confirm won’t happen one. Because they can go and ask their union leaders to go and pester the tow kays for them.
The union leaders also can help you to cham siong for better workplace protection, better terms, and better benefits with their tow kays.
Got union got po-pi, this one really never bluff you.