Last Friday (21 May), Local radio DJ Daniel Ong was fined $65,000 for underpaying their workers when he was the tow kay of Twelve Cupcakes with his then-wife Jaime Teo.
In case you forgot what happened, here’s a summary of what happened to help you refresh your memory:
- Daniel Ong and Jaime Teo were the founders of Twelve Cupcakes.
- They founded the pastry company in 2011, now there are 35 outlets across Singapore.
- In 2016, they sold the pastry company to an Indian tea company for $2.5 million.
- While Ong and Teo happy happy count money, the new tow kay who took over the company realised that these 2 tow kays allegedly have been underpaying their workers whose salaries were between $2,000 and $2,600 a month.
- Then the new tow kay also very what de lor. Initially they paid workers the reduced salary. But later they allegedly changed tactics.
- First, they pay their workers full salary first, then later allegedly make the workers pay back a portion of their salary in cash to hide their offence.
- But thankful MOM found out and in the end, the new tow kay also got kena charged and fined $119,500 in January this year.
- After digging some more, MOM also found out that allegedly, on top of underpaying the workers, Daniel Ong and Jaime Teo also did not pay their workers on time.
- Both Daniel Ong and Jaime Teo were later charged in court in December last year.
Reportedly, Jaime Teo was also fined $65,000 in March after she pleaded guilty.
Daniel Ong, who also pleaded guilty to 10 charges under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, was fined $65,000 as well. Tia gong still got another 14 charges were considered in sentencing.
Daniel Ong said ‘F**k You All’ to photographers after leaving court
According to CNA, when the media was taking photos of Daniel Ong as he left the court, he was reported to have cursed under his breath at the photographers wor!
One reporter even said he said “F*** Y’ALL”
Wah wah wah, so badass ah?
Daniel Ong denied cursing at photographers
But Daniel Ong said he didn’t scold vulgarities at the photographers leh.
He denied the allegations through his personal Instagram. He said he told the photographers to “get a life”, and not the F word.
He also took the chance to suan CNA that they are “not very professional” on their reporting and questioned the reporters, say they bo ko leng (not possible) can hear what he said because he was wearing a mask.
Sibei fierce sia.
Aiya whether or not he got curse at the photographers or not only he himself will know bah.
What is more important is that this case is closed liao and that the workers are now under the Food, Drinks and Allied Workers Union (FDAWU)’s protection.
This means hor, now they got the union to represent them and help them speak up and cham siong with the management if anything happens.
With the union’s representing the workers, they can help to make sure the management is fair to the workers and can help them to fight for better workplace protections, better terms, and better benefits with the Twelve Cupcakes management.
And finally, here’s a reminder to all employers: Don’t anyhow bully your workers lah.