This is a reader-contributed story regarding a local money changer that allegedly scammed someone of $500.
“Earlier this week, on the the 18th of June, my mom headed to a money changer in People’s Park Complex (Chinatown), and was cheated of $500 at Haji Rahmathuliah (#01-K95B). A police report was made and an investigation is currently ongoing.
She entered this ?!#%^ money changer and was welcomed by a man who was apparently extremely “nice, friendly and helpful”. He brought her to the side where there was a corner counter and asked her what was the rate she was looking for. My mom then showed him my message that stated “If you change SGD$1450 you get IDR 14871200”. He ended up giving a lower rate but my mom decided to go ahead and change with him because he seemed really nice. Little did she know, she was walking right into his trap
My mom had $600 on hand (6 x $100 notes) and went to withdraw $850 (17 x $50 notes) from the nearest ATM. She then counted all her money before handing them over to the guy.
What went down…
- Mom gave the $1450 she had on hand to the guy at the corner counter, where you can’t see when he counts the money (as she recalls).
- Someone then came beside my mom and changed money with the same guy, which distracted her attention. (So weird though… like why would you attend to another customer when you’re attending to one alr???)
- Guy then diverts his attention back to my mom and tells her that she did not give him enough money.
- Mom says this can’t be because she is very sure that she handed him $1450.
- Guy refuted and insisted that she did not give him enough.
- Mom then asked “how much???”
- Guy couldn’t give a number and told my mom to “count by yourself”.
- Mom counted and noticed that the stash was missing $500 because 5 x $100 notes were missing.
- He only returned her $950 out of $1450 (1 x $100 note & 17 x $50 notes).
- Mom then swore and confirmed that she gave him $1450 but guy continues to refute and told my mom she can watch the CCTV footage if she pleases. Another man from the money changer next door came over to persuade her to watch the CCTV footage as well.
- Mom refused and insists that he makes a police report.
- Guy ignores my mom and continues rambling on about checking the CCTV. Man from the other money changer then walks away.
- Mom told them to call the police again and again but they refused saying that they’ll only call the police if they’ve no choice.
- Mom said that he finally agreed to call the police. However after 20 mins, the police still didn’t show up even though he claimed he had already called.
- Mom then decided to call the police on her own.
- Police came, took her statement and told her that they’ll hear from them in the next 5 days.
(Policemen who viewed the CCTV footage told my mom that they couldn’t see anything. Lol no wonder those evil men were so quick to ask my mom to view the cctv footage cuz it’s angled in a way that you can’t see shit )
Sighhh guysss please do not patronise this money changer in People’s Park Complex (#01-K95B)!!! The men were dishonest and took advantage of my mom. I’m sharing this to raise awareness that asshole money changers do exist in Singapore and to not trust these men entirely.
Also… PLEASE REMEMBER TO COUNT YOUR MONEY BEFORE YOU HAND THEM OVER AND ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE FULL VIEW OF THE MONEY HANDLING PROCESS!!! Oh and do not put so much trust in them like what my mom did
SPREAD THE WORD TOO!!! THE WORLD DOESN’T NEED ANYMORE EVIL HUMANS LIKE THE MEN AT HAJI RAHMATHULIAH
Guys.. my mom ain’t that old to be considered elderly. More like middle aged“