Remember this name: Hill Street Tai Wah Bak Chor Mee
Singapore’s Hill Street Tai Wah Bak Chor Mee has done Singapore proud, clinching top rank in the annual Top 50 World Street Food Masters list, which was put together by the World Street Food Congress (WSFW).
The panel of experts was made up of experienced commentators, writers, food celebrities and professionals.
The judging criteria for the list includes: Mode of operations, ingredients sourcing, food preparation, basic hygiene factor, adaptability, consistency, confidence and the quality and flavour of food as well as their ability to inspire and create jobs, reputation and opportunities for the populace, even the displaced and disadvantaged.
This is the second time the street hawker has been lauded internationally, after it was one of two hawkers in Singapore to be awarded a Michelin star last July.
According to Straits Times’ report, the panel said: “They are the first family behind this Singapore-invented dish and the second generation, already in his sixties, have now received worldwide attention as one of the first street food hawkers to obtain a Michelin star. The sambal and black vinegar-laced pork noodle is the stuff addiction is made of, and the wait for an order is about 90 minutes.”
Besides Tai Wah, there were also 12 other Singaporean street food hawkers that made the top 50 list. They include:
- An Ji Sang Mee (Ranking: 24) at Smith Street
- Ah Lim Oyster Omelet (50) at Jalan Berseh Food Centre
- Chey Sua Fried Carrot Cake (10) at Toa Payoh West Market and Food Court
- Hoy Yong Cze Cha Seafood (30) at Block 352 Clementi Avenue 2
- Hwa Heng Beef Noodle (40) at Bendemeer Food Centre
- KEK Seafood (28) at 124 Bukit Merah Lane 1
- Kim’s Fried Hokkien Mee (42) at 62B Jalan Eunos
- Master Tang Wanton Mee (16) at Kopitown Coffeeshop, 10E Sixth Avenue
- Nasi Ambeng Dapur Ummi (48) at 430 Upper Changi Road East Village
- Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice (33) at Block 40 Holland Drive
- Soon Wah Fishball Kway Teow Mee (44) at Newton Circus Food Centre
- Tan’s Kueh Tutu (26) at Block 22B Havelock Road
- The Lorry – Expert movers and transporters in Singapore from $40 - November 28, 2018
- Singapore Customs warns of scam calls from its fax number asking for payment - October 26, 2017
- Ed Sheeran confirms his Singapore shows will carry on as planned - October 26, 2017